Monday, November 16, 2009

The Unassuming Sweet Potato

First things first - Wednesday is my big day with the Michigan Department of Agriculture! My kitchen gets inspected. Please send me good luck vibes people. I need things to go well so that I can be licensed and get this cupcake show on the road! STAY TUNED! So, on to the good stuff.

So, I have never been impressed with the sweet potato. I mean really, look at it, nothing really special about it.


When I was a kid we would have baked sweet potatoes with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg maybe twice a year - mom or granny would make them for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. I would always take the obligatory piece and eat in between my collard greens and macaroni and cheese. Not that I didn't like it, but it really was not an essential part of my holiday plate. And my dessert never included the sweet potato pie - something about the texture....just reminded me of baby food in a pie shell.

Later, there was this big sweet potato kick, remember? All of a sudden at your favorite restaurant you could get a baked sweet potato with cinnamon as a healthy alternative to a loaded baked russett potato (like there is any comparison whatsoever). There was mashed sweet potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, and sweet potato fries (which I actually enjoy with lots of salt).

I know that my ambivalence towards the sweet potato puts me in the minority. Most people I know actually love the orange root vegetable, and can't imagine Thanksgiving or Christmas without it, in some form. So, in order to please all of my beloved customers I decided to attempt to transform the sweet potato into something that everyone enjoys...a cupcake! From average looking sweet potato into this

Sexy! Talk about a makeover, right!? Sweet potato cupcakes paired with brown sugar cream cheese frosting sprinkled with roasted pecans. So incredibly moist, flavorful, and yummy.....I have a new found respect for that ol' sweet potater!

Oh yeah, sweet potato cupcake babies

How cute is the little sugar turkey! Perfect for your holiday table.

An up close and personal view of these little guys. Even my super picky daughter who ONLY likes chocolate cupcakes ate one of these cupcakes and proclaimed it "good!" - a huge compliment coming from her, trust me.

Alas, this will be the last of my Thanksgiving cupcake postings - seriously, you have more than enough options to choose from by now - the pumpkin cupcakes, pecan pie cupcakes, and sweet potato cupcakes. If you can't choose, then order a dozen of each. What the heck, its the holidays! Its not too late to place your order for Thanksgiving (next Thursday people!)

Special Christmas cupcakes will be coming soon....think Gingerbread and Vanilla Peppermint.

Until next time, spreading happiness one cupcake at a time...........

No comments:

Post a Comment